Wednesday, June 12, 2013

LAYOUT INSPIRATION


I looked to my chosen magazine RUSSH for guidance with my layout design. After flipping through a number of issues I discovered a few distinct layout styles that are distinctly RUSSH and would work well in my own magazine.


OVERLAPPING IMAGES

This is usually seen in the contents or trend forecasting pages. They tend to keep their overlapping of images quite neat, to stay in tune with the magazines overall style. They do this by giving their images a white boarder to separate their ideas. I think this could be effective with my contents page as I can give my reader a number of clues to what they are going to see as well as create a complimentary design.




BALANCE OF NEGATIVE SPACE AND TYPOGRAPHY

Russh usually include this type of design in their fashion and beauty editorials. I think the simplicity is really effective in getting a concept across.  In the example below the size and alignment of the typography perfectly balances out the photograph. The text size is effective in planting the concept straight into the readers mind, unlike other magazines that have this quite small.



SQUARE GRIDS AND FILLED TEXT BOX'S

This is usually used in Flat Lay, Depth of Field and 'Shopping' Pages. I have applied this neat style in my flat lay inspiration pages and tried to keep a very minimal style to my other pages. I think this style is effective and clear.

Something else that I have noticed and have gravitated towards is the magazines use of filled text boxes. In order to draw attention to information, RUSSH uses a white fill to their textboxes. This is generally used in Advertorials, Fashion Forecasting/ Trend Reviews. It is a clever way to separate text from an image and keeps to RUSSH's grid style.



No comments:

Post a Comment